Sunday, May 1, 2011

El Arbol

This three-story central Austin restaurant off 35th Street surrounds an enormous 150-year-old oak tree that gives the restaurant its name.  The first thing I notice are the levels of outdoor patios with red and white accents.  This will be an ideal spot on a night when the weather is perfect.  On this chilly February night we are forced to sit inside, but the atmosphere indoors is still very nice, with inviting leather booths and a giant wine cellar specializing in Argentinian wines.

El Arbol's web site says the Argentinian menu has South American and European influences.  I'm there for a close friend's birthday party and our group is ready to eat...a lot.  We start with several appetizers including the Anticucho de Corazon (oak grilled beef heart..yes!  Something new for me to try!) and Picada (cured meats, cheeses and olives.  The beef heart is served grilled on skewers and it is amazing!  For anyone who might be afraid to try it, you would never know it's heart.  It's tender and flavorful and so worth ordering.



Next up for our group of 10: several orders of Empanadas.  These are incredible!  As I take my first bite of one filled with spinach, mozzarella and parmesan, I am already wishing we ordered more.  I try another filled with beef, potato and onion.  Also delicious.  These are a must order when dining here.



For my main course I ordered a special that night: pork belly.  It came in a warm little ceramic pot with rice and an egg on top.  It was a great dish.  All in all, a spectacular meal.  El Arbol has an impressive menu and wine list and I can't wait to return and take advantage of the restaurant's amazing patio.


El Arbol
3411 Glenview
http://www.elarbolrestaurant.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment