Tuesday, December 28, 2010

So why fromage?

It's plain and simple: I love cheese.  I have always loved cheese.  Every and all kinds of cheese: creamy, smoky, buttery, nutty, stinky, blue.  I will eat it and I will love it.  Given the choice between candy and cheese: cheese.  Cheese as an item on a dessert menu: yes, please.  Stranded on an island and I can only have one thing: cheese.  In high school I saw a movie about how cheese was made.  While my classmates gagged as they learned about curds, bacteria and goagulating, my mouth watered, wishing I had a large block of the hardened milk right there on my desk.

I will even settle for good old American cheese slices.  The fake stuff at least resembles the taste of my first food love.  A childhood friend always told me the sliced cheese was reserved for their dog.  She looked at me in disgust as I peeled back the plastic packaging, tearing off pieces of the bright orange square.  I'll take any cheese I can get.

One year for my birthday my best friend gave me a basket of cheese.  A perfect gift.  She also took me to a cheese bar in Chicago.  Just like at a wine bar, you can order flights:  four small wedges of the most delicious cheeses I've ever tasted.  When I went to France with that same friend in college I only had to know one word: fromage.  And even better, two words: trois fromage (three cheese).  I ordered trois fromage pizza, trois fromage sandwich, trois fromage plate.  Needless to say, I had some of the most amazing food of my life.  Now I'm counting down the days until I'll be back (116, eeek!!).

I buy the groceries in my household, so I try to buy things on sale, look for the generic brands and occasionally clip coupons.  I'm perfectly happy filling my cart with cheap, frozen meals and the discounted meat.  But I have been known to spend a ridiculous amount on a couple ounces of brie.  I get mesmerized by the cheese counter at Whole Foods.  Even more so by the display case at Austin's very own cheese shop, Antonelli's.

So while it is true that I love all food, it is cheese that has my heart, and it is cheese that inspired me to start this blog.

Cheese case at Antonelli's

Antonelli's Cheese Shop
4220 Duval St.
http://www.antonellischeese.com/

2 comments:

  1. I did not know Austin had a cheese shop! My husband's birthday is in 2 weeks and his 2 favorite things are beer and cheese so I was planning on making him a basket filled with different imported beers and fancy cheese...now I know where to shop for the cheese!

    ReplyDelete